This is an amazing pantry/freezer meal. In the middle of the week when you don't feel like cooking, find whatever seafood you have in your freezer and vegetables you have on hand. You can easily substitute another fish for the shrimp; another bean for the kidney beans; other vegetables in your crisper.
Shrimp with Kidney Bean Salad
- 3-4 shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and diced
- 1/3 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 c. seafood, vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 c. kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- handful of mixed herbs (I used cilantro and parley), chopped
- olive oil
In a small saute pan, heat 1 T. of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Season with salt and let the vegetables soften for 5-6 minutes. Add in the beans and stock and let the mixture cook for 4-5 minutes more.
In a small pot, bring 1 c. of water to a boil. Add in the lemon pepper, red pepper and cracked black pepper. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes; until they are pink and start to cool.
Add the herbs and lime juice to the bean mixture, stir, and plate. Top with the shrimp and serve.