One of the only ways I can think of to indulge in sausage and still keep it a little bit healthy is to include it in soup. If it's soup, it's a free pass, right?
Sausage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 link spicy or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 14.5-oz. can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1/4 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 serrano pepper, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes, but feel free to use canned)
- handful of cilantro, torn for garnish
- olive oil
Heat 1 T. of oil in a large soup pot. Add the sausage and let it brown on all sides; approximately 8 minutes. Remove it to a plate.
Add the onion, bell pepper, and serrano pepper to the pot. Season them with salt and let them soften for 6-7 minutes. Add in the garlic, stir for a minute, then add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Add in the peas and tomatoes, season again with salt and pepper, and add in the stock. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes, then slice the sausage and add it to the pot. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with the cilantro.