The beauty of spring rolls is that you can use whatever you have on hand. Of course, if you went shopping with our weekly list, then you have these exact ingredients on hand. Making these is also a really fun way to entertain - you can put out a plate of ingredients, the wrappers, and the dipping sauce and let people create their own.
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Serves: 1 Time: 15-20 minutes Difficulty: Only in chopping!
- 4-6 spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 c. finely chopped or shredded cabbage
- 2 mushrooms, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 carrot, peeled into slivers or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 jalapeno, thinly sliced (remove ribs and seeds for less heat)
- 4 snow peas, thinly sliced
- 3 slices of onion
- 1 T. plus a drizzle of soy
- 2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 T. Mirin
- 1 tsp. Sriracha or Asian hot sauce
Slice the mushrooms first. Sprinkle them with soy sauce and 1 tsp. of rice wine vinegar. Set aside.
Whisk together the remaining soy, Mirin, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, and Sriracha. Set aside.
Plate all of the prepared and sliced vegetables.
Set out a shallow dish with warm water. To serve, place the plate of ingredients and dipping sauce on the table. Soak each wrapper for just a minute or so until it is translucent and pliable.
Place a wrapper on your plate, arrange ingredients in the middle, and roll up the spring roll like a burrito.